|Daas Karela (Stuffed Karela)|
- Karela (Bitter Gourd) 1/2 kg
- Onion Large 2 nos
- Garlic 6 cloves
- Ginger 1’’pc
- Green Chillies 4
- Tomatoes pureed 3 med
- Hing (Optional) A pinch
- Chilli powder 1 tsp
- Coriander powder 1 tbsp
- Turmeric powder ½ tsp
- Cummin powder (Jeera pdr)1 tsp
- Garam Masala pdr ½ tsp
- Salt To taste
- Oil and for frying 4 tbsp
- Coriander leaves 1 tbsp
- Peel the Karela’s and salt them for about 30 minutes.
- Wash them and deep fry them till slight golden(Do not brown them) and keep aside.
- Grate onions on the manual grater and strain the water completely through a strainer, do not squeeze let it drain on its own
- Make a paste of ginger, garlic and green chillies in pestle and mortar and keep it aside.
- For stuffing take a deep bottom pan, put oil, when little hot add hing
- Now add grated onions and sauté till dry and slightly golden .You can add salt at this time to dry the moisture in the onions
- Add ginger, garlic and green chilli paste ,sauté again for sometime
- Now add all the dry masalas and continue to saute, now add tomato puree and stir, let it cook till the oil separates
- Once cooked add coriander leaves, mix it well and remove from heat.
- When this mixture cools stuff in the Karela’s, secure them by tying them with a thread and shallow fry with little oil or no oil in a non-stick pan till nice and golden.
( Onions have to be grated in the manual grater by hand, do not blend or grind in the grinder it will lose the taste completely)
Recipe contributed by: BINA MAKHIJA